6.29.2006

I am not G.I. Jane

Let me paint you a picture...figuratively of course, I'm just getting the pincher grasp down, so at most it would be a finger-painting anyway.

Imagine me wearing blue camouflaged swim trunks without a shirt. Can you see it? Now grab a kleenex and wipe off that drool. Just kidding. OK. Save that mental picture. Little boy... little boy blue shorts. Got it? Good.

Well, twice this week, on separate occasions, a stranger has approached Mom to comment on how cute I am. "Oh, isn't she cute?" She? What? I don't have a shirt on! I'm wearing blue camo cargo swim trunks! Blue camo cargo BOY swim trunks. Which is redudant, because girls don't wear swim trunks. So what's the deal? Is it my man boobs? It must be my man boobs and hippie hair. Mom is always polite and returns the compliment with "Yes, he is." But that's it, nothing but speedos from here on out.

Alright, I'll crawl down off my soap box now. Thanks for listening. You may resume whatever you were doing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this might not make you feel better, but my mom always got "he's so cute!" when i was a bit younger than you. and i had earrings. stupidheads.

i pretty much always look like a girl now, just, without the makeup, freshly styled hair, trendy clothes, matching shoes and purse... i'm sure they'll come around, especially after a whole summer of swimming. you're gonna have a swimmer's body, baby.

cheryl said...

Yeah, I don't know what it is w/ people assuming the gender thing! We had a blue car seat and stroller, so I don't know if that made a difference or not, but people frequently asked things like "how old is he" even when Mallory was wearing dresses and bows! Whatever, you just have to try to let it roll off! ;o)