7.18.2006

Give Me a Break

Last night around 6pm the power went out on our street. Fortunately, I was in the bath tub, so I barely noticed that the a/c was off and the house was getting hot.

Around 7pm, just as the downstairs reached 80 degrees, Dad came home, and the a/c came back on. (I don't think there is any correlation there.) During my going to bed routine, the power tripped off again. Stifling hot. That's how Dad described it. It was way too hot to be upstairs and way too hot for anyone to be able to fall asleep. So, Mom went to her swim class (um, not contributing to a solution there, Mom) and Dad took me for a drive in the air conditioned car.

When we got home, I was still awake, so he took me for a stroll around the block. I guess since I feel asleep in the stroller at church on Sunday he wanted to give it a shot. (Um, don't tell Dad, but it only works when Holly is pushing the stroller.)

Around 9pm, Mom came home and the a/c came back on. (Again, I don't think there is any correlation, but I'm getting suspicious.) I finally conked out around 10pm. Obviously, I planned to sleep in this morning.

At 6am this morning, I'm still dreaming, and an alarm goes off on Dad's cell phone. Apparently he forgot to turn it off last night. Ugh! Good morning, I guess. I'm pretty tired, but I put on a happy face, and head down for breakfast.

Mom put me back in my crib for my morning nap around 9am. Nice. Finally, I'll catch up on some Z's. At some point during my nap, the power went back off. At 10am, it came back on. How do I know? Well, when the power comes back on the whole house beeps. All this electronic gear. Come on! Really! I need to sleep. OK. Nap is over. I just can't bring myself to go back to sleep.

So, this is a warning: I need my afternoon nap. Don't call, don't ring the doorbell, don't make beeping noises! And for goodness' sake, keep the power on!

Mom muttered something about just going to the mall to spend the $38.50 she made at Suzy's mom's garage sale this weekend if the power goes out again. I think moving is a better idea. Honestly, we don't need to put up with this heat. We should move north, to say, South Dakota. It never gets too hot there.

No comments: